High School COED
Division Coordinator – Gerry Moore
The Rec age group is primarily for boys and girls entering High School (Ninth through Twelfth grades) in September. This is considered a High School aged division only. Typically they are young men and women who will be 14 to 18 years old on July 31 of current year. Middle School players will NOT be allowed to play up into this division.
Rec teams are semi-travel and bridge the gap between in-club intramural and travel league “carded” players. Rec players are not league “carded”, but play against one or more other soccer club Rec teams in a league established by those participating clubs. Players are expected to “travel” to play some games at an opponent’s location.
Teams are formed and parents should be notified by their coach in Mid to Late August. Typically practices will start in late August and continue throughout the season based on the coaches’ preference and requirements. Practice duration is at the discretion of the coach but should typically be no more than 90 minutes. Practice time is determined by the coordinators, coach, and field and space availability. Games are scheduled by the league and are primarily on Sunday afternoons, but some Saturday games are possible. Again the season starts at the discretion of the league but usually starts the weekend after Labor Day and continues through early to mid November.
All Coed Rec games and practices are held at PW High School.
This age group will play 11v11 (one player being a goal keeper). The Rec program allows the continuation of competitive soccer to high school aged players, both intramural and former travel players who are unable to commit to the rigors of a travel team program. Other objectives for this age group include:
- FUN and a positive environment.
- Continuation to the basics of soccer.
- Continue to teach soccer skills; dribbling, moves, etc.
- Continue to teach more complex and combination of moves.
- Continue to teach positional play, including the goal keeper and to further develop player, team skills and strategy. Each player should be given the opportunity to play the positions they desire during the game; though some players may now be more selective in the position they wish to play.
- Competition among teams is expected, but the emphasis is on FUN, PARTICIPATION and SOCCER DEVELOPMENT.
- Encourage fair play, good sportsmanship, and self-confidence.
- All players MUST wear SHIN GUARDS, covered entirely by the sock.
- Players shall not wear anything, which is dangerous to them self or another player, including jewelry, watches, rings, earrings — even for newly pierced ears (this is a FIFA rule designated to prevent injuries).
- Players with arm casts are permitted provided they are wrapped, padded and pose no danger to them self or another player, this is at the discretion of the referee.
- Mouth guards are not required but recommended.
- Cups for boys are not required but recommended.
- Sport glasses for those requiring prescription eye wear are not required but recommended.
- It is the club’s preference that each player SHALL play a minimum of 50% of the total playing time. Equal play for all is strongly encouraged. It is also encouraged that each player plays a part of each half. Exceptions are if a player is physically unable or specifically requests less time. Also if a player is being disciplined for aggressive on field behavior.
Rec Game Rules
- Size 5 soccer ball.
- Conforms to FIFA Laws with any modifications or exceptions designated by the Rec League.
- Club’s preference that all players must play at least half of the game.
HS COED Rec Boys & Girls Field Location
John F. Kennedy (JFK) Park Field
Lucetta Street and Fairfield Road
Norristown, PA 19401
There is one field at this location designated PLY-4.